Knack is a no-code platform that makes it easy for anyone to build applications and workflows to do amazing things with their data. We’re democratizing the tools to do useful things with data.
More about Knack and this position:
Knack is hiring a frontend engineer! You’ll be an integral part of our product and engineering teams focused on architecting and developing our client-side programming.
Before we go much further, now’s a good time to note that we do things a little differently here at Knack, and that’s just how we like it:
- Flat: we don’t have project managers or dictates from a CTO. We do not have a VP of engineering. Each engineer leads on multiple projects and is expected to make major decisions.
- Autonomous: our engineers own their projects, collectively determine technical implementation, and have the freedom to define how they can maximize their impact.
- Engaged: our engineers think of their job as more than just 1s and 0s. Only by engaging with our product, our customers, and our team can they be fully equipped to do their best work. This is NOT a scenario where you come up from the basement once a week to share your work.
- Remote: to make this work our engineers are great communicators and are highly involved with hangouts/chat/discussions around both engineering topics and larger company issues.
This isn’t for everyone, but for the right fit this will be the definitive experience of your career. Our goal will be to ensure you are driven and supported to continuously grow and do your best work.
We’re looking for a strong track record of architecting and building products. With that said, we’re not looking for a 100% match on experience or our stack. If you have a history of shipping solid work, we’re interested.
About the Job
Knack enables anyone to build data-driven web applications. Your goal will be engineering the experience of both building and presenting these applications: usability is paramount, and our live apps need to be engaging, present data in new and elegant ways, and look fantastic on any browser and device.
What You’ll Do
- Lead development on the client layer and user experience.
- Develop a comprehensive HTML/CSS/JS framework for rendering web applications for multiple devices and themes.
- Refine the application building experience that makes it a delight for our customers to use and extend Knack.
- Consistently improve the speed, reliability, and performance of the Knack client application.
- Evaluate new technologies and help determine opportunities to leverage these.
- Work on implementing front-end Knack features.
How you’ll do this:
- Program: ship code every day
- Contribute: we want our engineers to make an impact on the Knack product. This means you’re not just implementing features that have been specified to death. It includes developing ideas, making suggestions, and keeping on top of new tech to understand opportunities.
- Engage: we have enough areas of need where we want to leverage what you’re excited about and use that to make Knack a better product.
- Learn and grow: we do code-reviews, pair-programming, lunch-and-learns, and actively engage in chat to constantly teach and learn.
You won’t have a direct boss but will be working collaboratively with our current engineering team of 6, and with cross-functional teams on specific projects. You’ll also work closely with the founders, Brandon & Eric, on strategy and technical implementations.
Our work is 100% remote. We use Slack, Trello, Google Docs and Google Hangouts to get our work done.
- AWS – we’ve drunk the kool-aid and use AWS across the board.
- Node.js – APIs
- Solr – data search
- MongoDB, Redis, MariaDb – data persistence
- Github, Jenkins, Webpack, Ghost Inspector, Mocha – deployment and testing
Above all, you build things. You have a history of starting –and completing– projects, whether that’s products, applications, games, libraries, or plugins.
You’re both a teacher and a learner. You’re not afraid to admit when someone may know more than you. You have the confidence to help others level up.
You’re an outstanding communicator. You can document a problem, and clearly and succinctly outline a solution. You’re not afraid to distill things into plain English for teammates and customers.
You have experience working in fast-paced environments, prioritizing and balancing multiple projects, and working with cross-functional teams.
You want to work on a product you can be proud of that impacts thousands of people all over the world, from non-profits to the world’s biggest companies.
You go all in. You want to do your best work, and have that work make an impact.
Knack is a no-code platform that makes it easy for anyone to build applications and workflows to do amazing things with their data.
Knack launched in 2012 and has been growing steadily as we’ve built our team, perfected our product, and nailed our product-market fit. We’re now ready to take things to the next level and maximize the opportunity for what this product can be.
So why are we different?
We’re bootstrapped: we’ve had to build something our customers actually pay for. This changes how you do things.
We’re 100% remote: and have been from the beginning. Every decision we’ve made has been based around optimizing our remote operations.
We’re small: and we like it that way. We’re more than just chat avatars– we’ve all gotten to know each other, have grown together, and love working with each other.
We enjoy the journey: we’re in this for the long haul. We’re not chasing an exit or the next round of funding. We’re building something we’re proud of and want to keep improving on.
Benefits & Compensation
Competitive salaries and generous equity: rather than give up equity to investors to pay engineering salaries, we’ve chosen to give more of that equity to our team while still paying strong salaries.
Define your work: our only rule is our overlap zone of 11am to 4pm EST. Otherwise find the location, environment, and schedule that is best for your life and work. It’s not about separation, it’s about optimization.
Unlimited Paid Vacation: take the time you need to stay motivated, charged, and balanced. You’ll get forced days off for birthdays and knackiversaries.
Paid Corporate Retreats: we get together twice a year at amazing locations to do normal human being things in person. We pay for your flight, lodging, and meals.
Learning Credits: an annual allowance is provided to stay on top of your game with classes, books, and conferences.
HealthCare: we offer health, vision, and dental, covering 75% of the premium for you and your dependents (spouse + children).
Please note that we are only considering applicants legally eligible to work in the US.
How to appply
If interested, please include any social links (GitHub, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.) and answer the following questions:
- Why would this be a great fit for you?
- Where could you make the most impact?
- How can we see some of your best work?
Apply now! Source